Friday, June 15, 2012

The Thoughts Of A Global Guy

I wanted to get away from the domination of social networking-a hiatus for a while just to breathe.  One of my friends told me I should write out my thoughts and another told me I should start a blog for the same reason. My close friend Rosie Ponce suggested me doing a blog and at the time, I thought about it and here I am.  My brother and one of my best friends told me I should write out my thoughts.  I consider myself atypical as a guy because of what I piques my mind.  You can say I am a deep thinker and always thinking about something- even if I am sleeping.  


I grew up in a military family, which allowed me to see the world and growing up like that shaped me and defined me as a person. I grew up in Europe, The Middle East and a few States as well.  To provide a little clarity, I lived in the Kingdom of Bahrain. Bahrain is a small island west of Saudi Arabia. Out of all the places, Bahrain will always be my favorite. Bahrain was a defining moment of my life and by living in the region, my interest for foreign affairs came to life. Bahrain holds a special place to my heart  because I met some awesome  guys who are my brothers and I love them very much. My brothers are super awesome. We were in band together. My bro, Ryan, played the trumpet and Rami played percussion. At the time, I was really reserved and didn't really say much to neither. During that summer (2004),  I was doing a job with the Bahrain Fire Department on the base and  [who is now my brother] Ryan was right along with me. That is where the bond was beginning to form.  It was nice to have a male friend and during that time of my life, I was a bit, socially inadequate.  I was able to open up to him about things and I have been at his house a few times.  In July, all military dependents  had to evacuate the island  due to alleged terrorists being present.  My life changed after that moment. I was going to lose the friends I made and will not see Rami or Ryan again.  It felt like a dream actually-a dream I wanted to wake up from, but no, it was happening. The transition was not a smooth one for me because I knew I would have to start over from scratch. 


Living in Bahrain will always be an experience I will always talk about. It made me appreciate how good I have it as an American. The quality of life, rights and the ability to do what I want to do  is something I will not take for granted. I am hoping to go back as a Diplomat and look at it from that perspective.  As for my brothers, I talk to them every day most of the time. They rock and I love them very much and when I have kid(s) in the future, both will be uncles. 


This is just a snippet of what goes on in my head of mine and stay tuned for more from the thoughts of a global guy. 

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!! I'm sure leaving Bahrain was a difficult transition for you, but remember-- its those hard times we go through that really makes us who we are. :)

    ~Rosie
    http://nohablasespanol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete